Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tropical View of the Beach - Part 2

After staring at this card from yesterday's posting: OK..... It was just too "bare" for me.....something was missing - I had to enhance and improve it: added more sponging for the sky and also added some mountains. I much prefer this improved version and hope you do, too. Now I really like this card front..............

Here's a closer view of the front:

OK - this is what you've been waiting for......................s-l-o-w-l-y open this card.......what's that?

Card opened all the way ......to reveal: A BEACH CHAIR!!!! I was thinking about how to do this for the WOW factor..........I even WOWed myself.......I love it!!! OK - that beach chair is not SU but it is a Sizzix pop-up die and ya know I LOVE pop-ups!!! The height of the chair is 3-1/2" from the base of the card. I've had this die for a while and the timing was so perfect to use it with the Tropical Party and Island Oasis DSP as the towel under the chair. I even made a miniature lei to drape over the chair with a welcoming coconut drink on the arm.

Here's a closer look at the chair and the lei:

At the bottom left corner, a punched crab (it's fm MS - I just had to put him in there). He's popped with a dimensional.

The bottom right corner spells out "relax" in pumpkin pie CS:

The coconut drink is attached to the arm of the beach chair simply with a strip of CS:

Another view:

Front view of the chair with the coconut drink:

How to make the inside of this card:
(3) strips of Close to Cocoa CS, edges randomly torn

Use the Itty Bitty backgrounds to first stamp in Close to Cocoa ink, then switch to Very Vanilla Kraft ink. I love how this gives that "sandy" feeling.

Use Daubers to sponge the torn edge with Close to Cocoa ink. Adhere to base card.

To make the lei, I punched a whole bunch of small flowers (darn that Spring Flower Bouquet punch is retired) using the same colors from the Island Oasis DSP. Cut a Plastic drink stirrer into 1/2" lengths: 16 pieces were used for this lei and 38 punched flowers.

Use a threaded needle to pierce (2) flowers + a 1/2" drink stirrer:

Tie and knot and trim threads. Optional: Make the lei more realistic by curling the petal edges. You can see half the lei curled and half "flat":

Last step: stamp coconut, cut out, color using Stampin' Write pens. Attach to a strip of 1/2" x 1" white CS with sticky tape. This is then attached to the arm of the beach chair.
Supplies:
  • Stamps: Tropical Party, Itty Bitty Backgrounds
  • CS: Close to Cocoa, Pumpkin Pie, Tempting Turquoise, So Saffron, Rose Red, Old Olive, Whisper White, Island Oasis DSP
  • Ink: Close to Cocoa, Very Vanilla Kraft
  • Accys: Big Shot Natural Serif Alphabet Decorative Strip Die, Stampin' Write Pens: Pumpkin Pie+Tempting Turquoise+So Saffron+Old Olive+ Melon Mambo, Spring Flower Bouquet Punch (retired SU), Beach Chair Pop-up die (non SU), Crab Punch (non SU), 2 Way Glue Pen, Sponging Daubers, Dimensionals, Sticky Tape

Thank you for your patience so I can complete this card............enjoy!!!! Hugs!!!

14 comments:

Katherine said...

This has got to be about the cutest project I have ever laid my eyes on - hands down!

You made my day :)

Unknown said...

love it, AGAIN! How do you keep doing it? LOL. Di

Whimcees said...

Hi Patti!

You are such a clever girl! :<) Everything is so creative - I love it! I also have the chair die but have only used it a couple of times - I am now inspired to use it again! :<)

Wishing you a great day!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Helen said...

Ah, Patti! This is where I needed to be.

The pop up looks amazing! Everything is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

You did a terrific job on this card. The pop-up chair is the icing on the cake!

PJ(Jessie Adams)

Shera said...

This is fantastic!!!

lisa808 said...

Wow! Love everything about the card, especially the cute little lei.

Allison Okamitsu said...

This is a total work of art! Your blog is so inspiring! I LOVE IT!!!

eunice said...

Just totally AWE-some!You already know how much I love these kinds of pop-up cards, and this card definitely takes home the prize! Oh, and your lei is the cutest ever...you and your creative brain are like the energizer bunny...you keep going and going!

Whitney Richardson said...

I love to waking up to Patti Lee in my cup! Who needs Folgers when we have you! You put the biggest smile on face every morning when I am sitting here OMGosh,thinking I have all these classes what projects to teach at what class uuurrgh, then I see FEEDBLITZ, yours is the very first one I open each day. Its a burst of creative energy! thank you for all the time you put into your projects and for being so kind to share them the way you do. I know how hard of work that is and you are much appreciated!!

xxooo
Whit

Barby Thompson said...

Beautiful card Patti! Can you tell me where you got the pop-up chair? Is it a sizzix die? Thanks!
Barby
barbyt123@hotmail.com

Creations by Patti said...

Barby: I tried to send you the link for the beach chair but got the mail bounced back twice. Go to Sizzix.com - the chair die is on clearence for $5.99........have fun with this and think out of the box - it's not just a beach chair!

Liam said...

OMG...... WOW LIKE THIS IS TOTALLY COOL UNBELIEVEABLE. Just love it. It is truly great. The only thing I need now is everything in the US catalogue. thanks for sharing another fantastic project. You just must dream them up in your sleep. Love it.

Liam

Rose said...

Love this, too! All your Hawaiian themed cards are getting me excited about going on vacation next month! ;)